Winter holidays are a special time of year when families and friends gather together, but winter also creates a greater risk for fire in our homes. By following the safety tips here, you can ensure a safe holiday season for you and yours.
This is a demonstration showing how flammable a dry Christmas tree can be as opposed to a tree watered regularly. This test was conducted by NFPA and Underwriters Laboratories.
Here's a few tips to prevent a fire like this from occurring in your home:
- Make a fresh cut in the trunk at least 2" from the end.
- Place water in the tree stand immediately and keep it full.
- Keep the tree at last three feet from any heat source or open flame like candles, heaters and fireplaces.
- Only use lights that listed such as UL and are in good repair.
- Always turn the lights off before leaving.