City Attorney - David H. Lohman
Assistant City Attorney - Douglas M. McGeary
Paralegal - Kris Bechtold
The Legal Division represents and provides legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, Ashland Parks and Recreation Commission and other boards, commissions and departments of the City. The department prepares ordinances and resolutions for adoption by the City Council and provides opinions regarding general municipal law issues, represents the City in litigation, and prosecutes misdemeanors and code violations in Ashland Municipal Court.
The department also handles legal matters related to implementation and application of land use regulations and provides services related to land sales, acquisitions, and leases.
Notice: The City Attorney represents the City of Ashland, its Mayor, City Council, City Departments and City employees in the course of official business for the City of Ashland. The City Attorney and legal staff cannot provide legal advice to private citizens.
Possible Sources of Legal Assistance for Individuals:
- (541) 770-2468 - Community Dispute Resolution Center
- (877) 877-9392 (toll free) - Consumer Complaints - Attorney Generalís Office
- (541) 774-8181 - District Attorney, Administration Office
- (541) 776-7171 - Jackson County Circuit Court
- (541) 774-6437 - Law Library - Justice Building
- 1-800-452-7636 - Lawyer Referral through Oregon State Bar
- (541) 779-7291 - Legal Services
- (541) 779-7000 - Non-Profit Legal Services (for seniors)
- 1-800-452-4776 - Tel-Law Information
(Tel-Law is one of the Oregon State Barís most notable public service programs. It provides tapes on many different subject areas and provides help to over 50,000 Oregonians who use this service each year. Dial the number listed to listen to the tape of your choice.)
- (503) 212-3022 - Better Business Bureau hotline.
- State of Oregon Web Site - internet access to all Oregon State Agencies, Oregon Revised Statutes and Oregon Administrative Rules.
- Secretary of State - internet access to Executive, Archived Records, Audits, Corporations and Election divisions of the Secretary of State.
- Oregon Judicial Department - internet access to court information, legal resources, court programs and rules.